IMP3.0 encoding of the Subject: line

Toomas Aas toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 20:29:06 +0200

Hello!

Our webmail site is currently running IMP 2.2.5, and I am in the
process of hauling it over to IMP 3.0, along with translating
IMP3 into Estonian. I feel like I'm 90% 'there', but I have one
nasty problem.

The problem is with the encoding of Subject: line. When sender uses
umlauts (üõöä) in the Subject: line, the actual Subject line sent
looks something like this (example 1):

Subject: =?ISO-8859-4?B?/PX25CBtaXMgamFtYQ==?= see on !?

(As you can see, I've configured IMP to use ISO-8859-4 charset for
Estonian.)

The recipients who also use IMP 3.0 can see this subject line OK.
But for some 'external' recipients, the subject line appears
garbled.

If the message with umlauts in subject is sent using IMP 2.2.5, the
subject line looks something like this (example 2, line wrapping
courtesy of my MUA):

Subject:
=?ISO-8859-4?Q?IMP2:_t=E4pit=E4h?==?ISO-8859-4?Q?tedega_kiri_=FC=F5=
F6=E4?=

The same recipients who see the IMP3.0 subject line as 'garbage',
can read this IMP2.2.5 subject line just fine.

The visible difference is that example 1 starts with
=?ISO-8859-4?B? and example 2 starts with =?ISO-8859-4?Q?. I
ass*u*me that ?B? means Binary and ?Q? means Quoted-printable.
Thus, IMP3 encodes the subject line as Binary which causes it being
seen as 'garbage' by some mail readers, while IMP2 encodes it as
Quoted-printable, which seems to be OK.

How/where does IMP decide which encoding to use? How can I change
it? Will it help?

Thanks in advance,
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.