[imp] Problems with Mac Attachments

Carl Makin carl@stagecraft.cx
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:01:59 +1100

On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 10:16  PM, Henry Blackman wrote:

> Apparently they are "AppleDouble" encoded... but looking at the headers
> they
> seem to be MIME/64 as AppleDouble is flagged as "Suitable for Any
> Computer".
> I'm going to try to find an image that's quite small (the limit on the
> ML is
> 30K I didn't realise).

The authors of Entourage at Microsoft don't have a good grasp of file
formats.  Actually the "any computer" setting is only good for mail
between Macs.  It encodes using AppleDouble which is a binary encoding
that preserves the data and resource forks.

To send to "any computer" you need to use the "Windows" format which is
base64 encoding.

Like most microsoft products entourage is littered with little buglets
like that, but it's still a suprisingly good mailer given where it comes
from. BTW, if you are using Entourage, you should go into the mail and
news preferences and disable "allow network access while displaying html
email".  It will save you spam and possible virus infections.

Carl.