[imp] Bug workaround: use strftime instead of date('r') calls

Warwick Smith warwick@imvs.sa.gov.au
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 16:27:09 +1030

> > As this bug seems to exist in PHP versions 4.05 -> 4.1.1 (at
> > least), I would
> > like to make a bold suggestion to the developers to replace the
> > use of the
> > date('r') calls with strftime('%a, %e %b %Y %T %z').  This
> > provides the same
> > RFC style date output, but doesn't encounter the PHP bug (ie it
> > will work properly!)
>
> I have yet to see this bug - what conditions does it affect?

Most obvious is when sending a message, the compose window doesn't close.
Actually the apache/php child process died with a segmentation fault when
compose.php received the submission, and used the date('r') function to
build the mail headers to send (the send works, but the process dies before
returning any HTML back to the browser).

My submission to the PHP bugs database can be seen at
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=15362 if you want more info.
jkannan@ddeorg.co.in has posted some diffs for the PHP code which I am
hoping will make it into the next PHP release.

I have seen a couple of posts (found in the archives) mentioniing the same
symptoms (search for "compose windows" around 2002-10-21/22 on MARC)

This bug seems to me to be only triggered in areas with certain timezone
offsets (couln't tell you which!) - which is why you probably never seen it.

Don't know how you guys (Chuck, Jan esp) find the time to reply to all these
:)

Regards,

Warwick Smith
Electronic Services Officer / Webmaster
Email: warwick@imvs.sa.gov.au
Web:   http://www.imvs.sa.gov.au
Tel:   +61 8 82223832
Fax:   +61 8 82223147

* If it's never finished, you can't prove it doesn't work. *

>From chuck@horde.org Date: Fri,  8 Feb 2002 01:15:38 -0500
> Most obvious is when sending a message, the compose window doesn't close.
> Actually the apache/php child process died with a segmentation fault when
> compose.php received the submission, and used the date('r') function to
> build the mail headers to send (the send works, but the process dies before
> returning any HTML back to the browser).

Yes, my point was this doesn't happen _all_ of the time - I am using 4.1.1 and
this compose window will close just fine.

> This bug seems to me to be only triggered in areas with certain timezone
> offsets (couln't tell you which!) - which is why you probably never seen
> it.

Right.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"What was and what may be, lie, like children whose faces we cannot see, in the