PHP 4.1.2 changed IMAP and breaks IMP [was Re: [imp] Login problem narrowed down.]

Mike Baptiste baptiste@cc-concepts.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:42:56 -0500

SUCCESS!!!!  PHP 4.1.2 has changed the way imap works - if you compile
your c-client for SSL, PHP will alwyas use SSL unless you tell it not
to!!!!!

Turns out my 3.0 installation was using all port 143 imap.  I thought I
had some SSL going on.

Anyway, if I set a 3.0 server to ssl imap, I can login.  But if I try to
use port 143, PHP seems to still try to do SSL no matter what and of
course it fails.  VERY bizarre.  IMP 2.2.x, of course, fails to login
with the new PHP (4.1.2)  This was the only thing that changed.

I came across this tidbit on php.net - looks like there is a new
protocol option to force an SSL compiled c-client to use non-ssl where
before PHP did it for you?

toshe_bg@yahoo.com
21-Feb-2002 10:47

I have downloaded IMAP webmail and tried to install it. My configuration is
Slackware 8 with Apache 1.3.20. Webmail require PHP 4.1.1 so I download it
and compile with options:
./configure --with-mysql  --with-apxs  --enable- trans-sid --with-gettext
--with-imap=/usr/local/lib --with-imap-ssl=/usr/local/lib
I use c-client from imap-2001a and have libc-client.a in /usr/locla/lib.
When I tried to run Webmail I always got error " TLS/SSL failure for
localhost: SSL negotiation failed". I note that there is no request
to IMAP server, so the problems is in the c-client itself. After a few
hours tests and many READMEs I found in c-client documentation that the
correct url for IMAP connection is
{imapserver:143/notls}INBOX
/notls is to disable TLS connection.
Hope this will help someone and save him/her a lot of time and headache :)

So I went into my servers.php file and changed

'protocol' => 'imap',

'protocol' => 'imap/notls',

and I was able to login to my server via port 143.

Now I just need to find the right spot to update IMP v2.2.

Mike