[imp] imap_utf7 calls and Exchange server

Robert Marchand robert.marchand@UMontreal.CA
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 10:18:47 -0500

In fact, I'm talking about the charset.  Exchange imap server uses Unicode
as the charset
and send folders names with Unicode as opposed to latin1 or other 8-bit
charsets.  And, according
to rfc 2060 that you quoted it has right to do that:

>    All other characters (octet values 0x00-0x1f, 0x7f-0xff, and all
>    Unicode 16-bit octets) are represented in modified BASE64, with a
>    further modification from [UTF-7] that "," is used instead of "/".

The convention includes 8-bit values (0x7f-0xff) which are the latin1 codes
but also Unicode that Microsoft
use.  There is the problem. The "imap_utf7" don't seem to care about
Unicode and that breaks IMP.  I first tought
that the rfc2060 "forced" to use Unicode but I'm not sure anymore (my
knowledge of this is VERY recent).

There is one thing for sure: Folders in Exchange Server don't appears as
they should! Is this PHP fault? IMP fault?
Exchange fault? I don't know.  All I want is a solution that will work with
Exchange and with other imap servers.
My solution works for me but is only valid for latin1 users
(ISO-8859-1).  My question was refering to the fact that I could use a
variable in place of hardcoding the charset.  Is there such a variable in
IMP 3.0?

Thanks.

At 23:49 02-03-01 -0500, you wrote:
>Quoting Robert Marchand <robert.marchand@UMontreal.CA>:
>
> > Why so? As Metee Khanongnuch answered Exchange use Unicode and others=
 use
> > ascii but UTF7 is supposed to be an encoding for Unicode not for
> > ascii.  Maybe Microsoft is right this time.  I would prefer for IMP to
> > handle this.  The only thing that bothers me with my solution is to hard
> > code "ISO-8859-1".  I tried with "auto" but it doesn't work.  Does IMP=

> keep
> > the actual incoding somewhere?
>
>IMAP uses a modified UTF-7 encoding, not UTF-7 itself. The relevant
>section of
>the RFC is below. The important bit seems to be "All names start in=
 US-ASCII,