[imp] imap_utf7 calls and Exchange server

Metee Khanongnuch may@yipintsoi.com
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 00:54:17 +0700

Please try it.

http://es.yipintsoi.com/download/horde/utf7/

:-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Marchand" <robert.marchand@UMontreal.CA>
To: <imp@lists.horde.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: [imp] imap_utf7 calls and Exchange server

In fact, I'm talking about the charset.  Exchange imap server uses Unicode
as the charset
and send folders names with Unicode as opposed to latin1 or other 8-bit
charsets.  And, according
to rfc 2060 that you quoted it has right to do that:

>    All other characters (octet values 0x00-0x1f, 0x7f-0xff, and all
>    Unicode 16-bit octets) are represented in modified BASE64, with a
>    further modification from [UTF-7] that "," is used instead of "/".

The convention includes 8-bit values (0x7f-0xff) which are the latin1 codes
but also Unicode that Microsoft
use.  There is the problem. The "imap_utf7" don't seem to care about
Unicode and that breaks IMP.  I first tought
that the rfc2060 "forced" to use Unicode but I'm not sure anymore (my
knowledge of this is VERY recent).

There is one thing for sure: Folders in Exchange Server don't appears as
they should! Is this PHP fault? IMP fault?
Exchange fault? I don't know.  All I want is a solution that will work with
Exchange and with other imap servers.
My solution works for me but is only valid for latin1 users
(ISO-8859-1).  My question was refering to the fact that I could use a
variable in place of hardcoding the charset.  Is there such a variable in
IMP 3.0?

Thanks.