[imp] mail folders an umlauts

Michael Redinger Michael.Redinger@uibk.ac.at
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:25:34 +0100 (CET)

I'm using imap200c as packaged by Red Hat (RHAT Linux 7.2).

When eg. encoding the letter "ä" with imap_utf7_encode I get the
following:
imap_utf7_encode("ä")
&5A-

Encoding it with mb_convert_encoding gives the right value (ie the same
as Outlook, Netscape Messenger etc.):

mb_convert_encoding("ä", "UTF7-IMAP" , "ISO-8859-1");
&AOQ-

To get an "ä" with imap_utf7_decode, the corresponding UTF7-IMAP string
is again
&5A-

The result is that IMP can generate folders with umlauts, but the result
isn't compatible with other mail programs.

Michael