[imp] imap test

Guy Cohen rcs@rshell.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:10:40 +0200

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 10:11:15AM -0800, destr0 wrote:
> I am pretty new to all this,  can someone tell me a way to test to see if my
> imap server is running properly without having to go through imp?  I need to
> test just the server if possible, so I can make sure that it's the server
> and not one of the other many things I could have configured wrong.

try telneting to your imap server
. login <username> <password>
ok OK User logged in

check if you got mail in the mailbox
. status INBOX (MESSAGES)
* STATUS INBOX (MESSAGES 25)
. OK Completed

check for folders you may have created
. list INBOX *
* LIST () "." "INBOX"
* LIST () "." "INBOX.test"
. OK Completed (0.000 secs 3 calls)

. select INBOX
<snip>

. . fetch 1 (FLAGS BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM)])
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen) BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM)] {63}
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 00:01:06 +0200
From: rcs@rshell.org

)
. OK Completed

This is all from the rfc. im also pretty new to imap.

HTH.

-  G