[imp] Realm and change_server: bug or feature?

Fritz Zaucker zaucker@ee.ethz.ch
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:51:31 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> > In IMP 2.x the server name was added to the userid automatically. This is
> > not the case in IMP 3.0. Is there a reason for this design change? What am I
> > missing?

> If hostnames changed, there was a huge mess. And a lot of people just don't
> need this.

Thanks for the explanation.

> > I realize that the realm tag in the server list definition was added to deal
> > with this situation, but that doesn't help if using a change_server setup.

> You can use the vinfo hook to take care of this.

The problem is that this sets the username that is used to authenticate to
the IMAP server as well as far as I can tell. And this fails as the username
at the imap server is  smith and not smith@imap.example.com

How about a configurable behaviour such as:

if ($conf['user']['tag_username']) {
   $imp['uniquser'] = $imp['user']  . '@' . $imp['server'];
}

in /lib/IMP.php ?

This would not change the default behaviour and would make people with
setups as we have happy.

Or is there I way I can do this with vinfo that I don't see?

Thanks again,
Fritz

--
Dr. Fritz Zaucker, Head IT Support Group
Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering