cookie domain

Jie Gao J.Gao@isu.usyd.edu.au
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:46:49 +1100 (EST)

Hi All,

We have been using IMP as a central service at the University of Sydney
for the past two years, and we are upgrading to v3.0.

As we are getting more and more of the 40,000+ people eligible to use
the service, we are contemplating a load-sharing mechanism.

The idea is to use mod_rewrite in Apache to make a reverse proxy, and
pass requests to two or more backend servers. The question is if the
cookie mechanism will work? If the cookies are sent back to servers
that issued them, this won't work. If there is a setting that we can
change to make the cookies sent back to a domain, this might just
work, I think.

Another thing is that imap/pop servers may have problems with this setup.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Jie