[imp] cookie domain

Ramon Kagan rkagan@yorku.ca
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:51:28 -0500 (EST)

Alternatively you could use a load balancer like lvs with a
persistance/sticky mechanism that will take care of that.  This will ship
a user to one of the backend machines for the duration of their
connections.  We use this for 3 machines currently and soon 5 for our
currently 40,000 and soon to be 55,000 users.  If you're using linux, try
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/ it's an effective tool.  In terms of
resources it's just about transparent (a bit of memory 64-128 K)  We
currently have our persistance set to 4 hours, but it's best to match the
value to the php session garbage collection max time.

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Unix Team -  Intermediate System Administrator
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan@yorku.ca