[imp] charset of composed messages

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:08:16 +0100

Zitat von Wenzhuo Zhang <wenzhuo@zhmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I installed horde-2.0 and imp-3.0 in my mail server and it's been
> running for two months or so. Aside from the login language problem
> which has been discussed in the list and fixed in imp-3.1-rc1, I noticed
> a problem in charset encoding of outgoing messages. If the preferred
> language is set to en_US, the charset of composed messages is
> unconditionally set to ISO-8859-1, no matter what charset the text is
> actually written in; and if it's set to zh_CN, the charset is GB2312. Is
> it possible to let IMP decide the appropriate charset according to the
> browser settings, or according to the actual text of the written
> message, as with the send_charset option in mutt?

Not currently. But there's some effort in making the iconv extension in PHP
work. If this is done we can not only change the messages's charset before
sending but also mix different charsets in the ui by converting them to
unicode.

But it always has to be your decision, IMP will never decide in which
charset a message will be sent.

We will need this feature for example for the Japanese translation that's
currently be done, because the preferred web page encoding is EUC-JP but
the preferred email encoding is ISO-2022 or SJIS.

Jan.