Once again, a job well done! (kudos and tips)

Darien M. Kruss darien@kruss.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:09:34 -0600

Once again I am writing to the entire Horde and associated project
teams (IMP in particular) to thank them for a job well done in
providing a useful, functional and free tool for us to use.

Roughly a year ago I took the plunge and installed Horde and IMP 2.2.
This past week I made the smooth upgrade to IMP 3.1 (and turba,
kronolith, nag, nic, orator as well) on a Red Hat 7.2/mySQL/uw-imap
server.

What follows are a listing of a few resources that I found extremely
useful along the way. I post them here in the hopes that they will
make it into the FAQ or at least be searchable when other folks run
into trouble.

1. Apache Compile HOWTO
    http://www.delouw.ch/linux/apache.phtml
    Incredibly easy step-by-step instructions to getting nearly all
the components you could ever need downloaded, compiled, installed
and running on your server. I followed version 1.9.10 (09-Mar-2002)
to the letter with only minor exceptions. I kept my default mySQL
install, for instance.

2. Tricky imap-2001a
    http://www.ultraviolet.org/mail-archives/imp.2002/0489.html
    This particular page covered a few otherwise obscure options about
compiling the uw-imap c-client properly, specifically :

    cd imap-2001a
    make clean
    make slx SSLTYPE=unix

    Before compiling PHP - need to prepare for imap c-client:
    cd imap-2001a/c-client
    cp c-client.a /usr/lib
    cp rfc822.h mail.h linkage.h /usr/include

3. Compiling PHP 4.1.2 as a dynamic module
make clean
make dist clean

./configure \
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs \
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql \
--enable-track-vars \
--with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl \
--with-imap=/usr/local/src/imap-2001a \
--with-gd \
--with-ldap \
--enable-ftp \
--enable-sysvsem \
--enable-sysvshm \
--enable-sockets \
--with-pdflib=/usr/local \
--with-gettext \
--with-mm=/usr/local/src/mm-1.1.3 \
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/lib \
--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local \
--with-mcrypt \
--with-kerberos \
--with-mcal=../libmcal

make
make install

restart apache

Viola! Everything works (after installing horde/imp/etc and modifying
the configs)

--
    Darien M. Kruss
    darien@kruss.com