[imp] how to get IMP to STARTTLS

Dieter Rothacker dr-tech@web.de
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:32:16 +0100

At 20:07 24.03.2002 -0800, Curtis Doty wrote:
> >> Actually I want STARTTLS...which is different from imaps
> >(imap over ssl
> >> tunnel).
> >
> >You may be right and I may be missing a piece of information. First,
> >though, have you tried using port 993? I know it's the
> >imap/ssl port, but
> >I'm pretty sure that that and the imap/ssl protocol handles
> >TLS connection.
>
>Yes, the imap daemon also is listening on 993 where it doesn't require
>the STARTTLS and the entire session is encrypted.
>
>But I have two problems: a) I only need to secure the login b) I can't
>get :995/imap/ssl to work in IMP either. :( It produces yet a different
>symptom. SYN SYN-ACK ACK hang
>
>I went cross-eyed fuddling with this yesterday, so I imagine the source
>of that second problem is PEBKAC. ;)
>
>I'm not trying to be a pain here. I'm having fun hacking and would like
>to get horde/imp working with these business requirements. .. System is
>strictly RPM-based and I've triple-checked the dependencies. It used to
>run an ancient version of horde happily.

Which version of c-client library did you link your php4 to? Try linking to
c-client-2001a with SSL, that will give you STARTTLS by default on port
143. Actually, it will require you to say "143/notls" for certain imap
servers which cannot handle the starttls request.

In either way, different versions of c-client produce different symptoms. I
have not found one which can connect successfully to Cyrus and UW-Imap and
Courier.
--
Dieter Rothacker