[imp] Server "namespace" not hiding INBOX. when creating folders

Joshua E Warchol jwarchol@dsl.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:23:40 -0500

I had hoped this thread wouldn't degrade down this path. I'm trying to
show a limitation in IMP, not make IMP work my way. If folders is the path
to be prepended to all folder creations, and namespace is a mask to be removed
when displaying folders, why are they mutually exclusive? And why does
namespace get added when creating folders? If it's "where you put any paths
that you want stripped out for presentation purposes", why is it used outside
of the presentation of folders?

Am I confusing the issue or something? These two settings do not do what they
claim to do. The documentation doesn't say you can't set both to INBOX., and
I think the documentation has the right idea. It's unusual for code to be
written to conform to documentation, but in this case that needs to be
considered.

Chuck, I'm not asking you to rewrite IMP because I can't do something, I just
want to have a reasonable dialog about the problem. If you tell me it can't
be done because it will break ever other part of IMP, I'll drop it. If not
then I'll assume that something needs to be changes and start working on
that.

I hope I haven't dug this hole deeper.