[imp] Removing "Save" and "Undo" from preference group

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:45:07 -0600

Quoting Joshua E Warchol <jwarchol@dsl.net>:

> I'm writting a pref group to allow my users to edit their autoresponder
> (out-of-office) messages and to setup email forwarding (all LDAP based).

Sounds like a decent idea *IF* you were going to store the info in prefs.

> I've
> got the pref group working, and it's pretty slick seeing it all nicely
> integrated in IMP.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed the first time I made a module using prefs
too ;)

> On the options page I've added a group under "Your Information" called
> "Configure Mailbox". In there I list two options, "Out-of-Office Message" and
> "Email Forwarding". Each of these is a link to another PHP page that does
> all the work.

This sounds like a misapplication of the prefs system.  If you would, for
example, save the "out of office" message in prefs, that would be cool.
But it is not meant to be a link page, which appears to be how you want to
use it.

> But on this page I've got the standard "Save","Undo Changes" and "Return to
> Options" buttons. I only want the "Return to Options" button to be there, as
> there are no preferences to save on that page. Can this be done?

That's my point.  Why use the preferences system if you are not going to
set any preferences?  Isn't this using the wrong interface for the job?

I understand that prefs will let you do this, but it seems like the wrong
use of the prefs system.

--
Eric

Hey Rocky!  Watch me pull a rabbit from my hat!