[imp] Removing "Save" and "Undo" from preference group

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:49:05 -0600

Quoting Joshua E Warchol <jwarchol@dsl.net>:

> I would love to use IMP's pref storage for saving the out-of-office
> message,
> but unfortunately that would never work.

Not so sure of that...  I think it *could* work, but that doesn't mean
it is practical or desirable (e.g. from a performance/overhead point
of view).

> My autoresponder system is on another
> server, and is LDAP based. My IMP preferences are stored on a seperate (and
> geographically remote) MySQL server.

Should not matter as long as the mysql and ldap servers can talk to
each other.

> But from a UI-design perspective this functionality works very very well in
> the "Options" window.

I'm borderline on this.

> I expect to set my autoresponder message in the same
> place I set my sig and my full name.

I can understand this as far as setting the message text, but not
really as far as enabling/disabling the services (out of office, forward).
But again, I'm still thinking this over.

> It makes great sense. The user's I've
> shown this to love it, and don't like the idea of having to go to a
> different sight to configure those.

I'm not proposing a different site, just a different page within
the same site.

> I don't want to use the perferences system so much as I want to use the
> options window within IMP's interface. I could store this information
> within
> IMP's preferences and export it to LDAP, but only if there was a way for
> the export to be triggered when the user updated the information within
> IMP (which I don't see).

If you don't mind the high overhead, the ldap machine could remotely
query the mysql machine to fetch the text.  Instead of exporting from
mysql to lday, import to ldap from mysql.  Various methods (polling,
on demand, etc) could be used depending on design constraints.

> I'll take it there is no way to do this. prefs.php handles all preferences
> the same way.

Not sure.  Still questioning *IF* you should do it, not if you *CAN* do it.

--
Eric

Hey Rocky!  Watch me pull a rabbit from my hat!