[imp] bind several branches in the LDAP tree for authentication

Atif Ghaffar aghaffar@developer.ch
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 10:37:58 +0200

HAHN Nicolas wrote:
> Hi everybody :-)

You mean bind to one of the several branches of the LDAP server.

How are your branches separated?

Are you using multiple branches for domains to avoid unique name clashes?
If yes, then you are not doing the right thing. You should have atleast
one _unique_ attribute in the record to identify that record.
If thats not the case, you dont have to bind to a different branch anyway.

Example:
If you have
dn: uid=aghaffar, domain=developer.ch, o=something
and
dn: uid=aghaffar, domain=horde.org, o=something

then its a poor directory design

If on the other hand you have only _one_ record per uid.

dn: uid=aghaffar, domain=developer.ch, o=something
dn: uid=chuck, domain=horde.org, o=something

the you just can use o=something as your base branch to search for
binding users.

ldapsearch -b "o=something" uid=chuck
ldapsearch -b "o=something" uid=aghaffar
should both give you a result.

hope, i wasnt too confusing.

best regards.

> Just a quick question: in my LDAP server, I have several branches where
> I have several users for each one. In this case, how IMP can
> authenticate my users, I mean how to configure it, and is it possible
> in the last version 3.1RC1 ?
>
> If imp can bind a user only in one branch (the one which is configured
> via the binddn), would it be possible to implement the 'multi-branches'
> bind for the Release 3.1 ?
>
> Thanks a lot :-)
>
> =====
> Nicolas HAHN, ICQ: 51593394
> System/Network administrator & webmaster
> UNIX / LINUX engineer

Atif Ghaffar
---------------------------.
           +41 78 845 31 64 ¦ tel
     aghaffar@developer.ch  ¦ email
     http://atifghaffar.com ¦ www
                    8206786 ¦ icq

Date: Wed,  3 Apr 2002 11:03:29 +0200
From: Vincent De Keersmaeker <Vincent.Dekeersmaeker@broederlijkdelen.be>
To: Loic BERARD <loic.berard@memscap.com>
Cc: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [imp] configuring preferences - identities

you're absolutely rigth.   After editing my prefs.php it works perfectly.

Thanks.

Vincent

****$test imp