[imp] What IMAP Server?

Oliver Oliver.Egginger@dvz.fh-giessen.de
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:48:22 +0200

The UW-Server is working perfectly here under Mandrake 8.1,
with IMP 3.0 and 3.1 RC2.
PHP itselfs use the UW C-Client library.
I think that IMP will work with
every IMAP Server which is conform to the standards,
while PHP uses the C-Client libary or some other library
which is conform to the standards.

Each server has his benefits.
Some benefits are extentions to IMAP (quotas, server side filtering).
Insofar as I have seen, IMP "only" provides the standard IMAP functions
to the user.
This means that a IMAP server (like cyrus for exampel) which support such
extentions, will need a client which will enable the user to use
this extentions (SilkyMail for example).
On the other hand cyrus is faster than the UW-Server but cyrus use its
own file format.
The UW-Server in contrast can handle many formats.
Thats very positive if you have already a non cyrus maisystem in use.
Also the UW Server runs out of the box via inetd.
There is not much configuration work to do for you.

Maybe the comp.mail.imap newsgroup can help you to find a server which will
fit your needs.

regards
Oliver