[imp] How to get from IMP 2.2.7 to 3.0 without loosing mail...

Christopher Crowley ccrowley@tulane.edu
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:52:50 -0500

> Quoting Christopher Crowley <ccrowley@tulane.edu>:
>
> > I have two different Apache's running on the same server (using
different
> > ports, of course).  One is IMP 2.2.7, and the other is IMP 3.0.  I have
two
> > different apache directories:
> >
> > /usr/local/apache_imp227
> > /usr/local/apache_imp30
>
> what ? two servers for two imp ? I don't understand why ?
> Do you know virtual hosting ? it's very usefull.

It is not an important issue, but I figured I would share my reasons.

My reasons for using two different servers:

1. SSL support is required by my installation. I don't think that I can
create two different SSL enabled virutal hosts in one instance of Apache.

2. Different PHP configurations.  There are differences between the PHP's
that IMP 2.x and 3.x use.  For example, I am using PHP-4.2.0-dev for the IMP
3.x branch from CVS and a patched 4.0.6 for the imp 2.x branch.

3. Production versus test environment. The IMP 2.x branch on my system is
used by approximately 4000 people every day.  I do not want to change
anything for that server. In fact, I am prohibited from doing so by our
change control process.  That constraint makes it effectively impossible to
install, configure and test a new application.  With a different server, I
can stop and start, re install, and make mistakes without any impact on the
production system.