secure mail recommendations

Cliff Green green@UMDNJ.EDU
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:47:59 -0400

Just a little OT note...

A recent SANS NewsBites article referred to a NIST document, "Guidelines on
Electronic Mail Security"
(http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/PP-ElectronicMailSecurity-RFC.pdf),
currently being offered for comment.  Also see
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/0401/web-nist-04-04-02.asp for the
Federal Computer Week article describing the document and who to send
comments to:  Wayne Jansen (jansen@nist.gov).

The only reason I mention this here is that Appendix F includes a section
titled "Configuring IMP Web Based Email Server".  It's clearly based on an
older version (e.g., "The default IMP configuration file is: (IMP Install
Root)/config/defaults.php3), and I figured some of the folks here would have
something to say to Wayne.

The subsections cover "Installation considerations" and "Configuring IMP".

Finally, some of my tax dollars going to something I approve of.  <grin>

Cliff Green
Academic Computing Services - UMDNJ
Signature under NDA

This mail sent through IMP: the Internet Mail Program