[imp] RFC822/PEAR problem ?

Marc Villegas Marc.Villegas@utc.fr
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:22:04 +0200

Miroslaw Jaworski wrote:

> > when a student sends an email with one or several 8 bit characters
> > located in a recipient address (i.e. : 'v=E9ronique.durand@truc.fr'),=
 the
> > message is bounced to the postmaster (i.e. 'postmaster@truc.fr'), and=

> > neither the recipient nor the sender receives the original or an erro=
> > message.
> =

> According to RFC822 only 7bit characters can appear in To: address.
> _You_ broke the RFC by setting up these accounts.

These accounts do not exist !

> Even if your system allowed to do it,

The system does not allow that, of course, but you cannot be behind each
student when he/she sends email using wrong email addresses. She/he can
type what address she/he wants and if it is not RFC822 compliant, he/she
should receive an error message from the mail system (IMHO) and then
could correct the address before sending the email again.

> and your tests were succesfull,
> it means only that this mail system is not 'tightly' written.
> =

I agree, but the mail system does not allow 8 bit characters in
recipient addresses, of course. It uses Postfix/LDAP and works fine with
all other mail clients. The wrong address is parsed and corrected as
'postmaster' by IMP before sending the email to postfix. Then, postfix
receives a correct message adressed to a correct and valid email account
: 'postmaster'. But the sender never receives an error message because
postfix never received the illegal recipient addressed email.

My question is : can I change this behaviour, which seems to be specific
to IMP, or not ?

I found a similar case in the lists. But the solution was to upgrade
PEAR. I use the last stable version of PEAR and I am looking for another
solution if it exists.

Regards.

--
 Marc Villegas                           _/     _/_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/
 Universite de Technologie de Compiegne _/     _/    _/    _/