[imp] PGP - Viewing signed messages.

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Mon, 6 May 2002 08:22:32 -0600

Quoting Cliff Green <green@UMDNJ.EDU>:

| Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:
|
| > OK - Now the latest CVS of IMP/Horde _should_ be able to view PGP
| digitally
| > signed messages.
|
| [snip]
|
| The current MIME/Viewer/pgp.php only tests for the presence of
| "multipart/signed", and assumes that any signed messages use PGP.
| Which
| means that S/MIME signed messages get the same notice.

You caught me :)  I actually realized my mistake right after I sent my
message.  What I should have said is that IMP now correctly understands all
PGP messages (except signed & encrypted) sent in strict RFC 2015 format.

I wasn't completely aware of the need to check for other possible uses of
multipart/signed outside of PGP - but that was obviously why they have the
protocl parameter.  I think what will need to be done is to create a new
MIME Viewer that specificcally handles 'multipart/signed' messages and then
will hand output off to the specific driver needed (be it PGP, S/MIME,
etc.)  By the way, this will be easily checked for - the values of any
parameters to MIME are handled by MIME_Part; a simple check for $mime-
>getParameter('protocol') == 'application/pgp-signature' or whatever will
take about 3 seconds to code.

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder