[imp] poppassd cannot change passwd by user, but the root user can do.

Tue, 7 May 2002 23:02:14 -0500

Quoting Pradit Wattanasuwan <pradit@tubtim.cri.or.th>:

> Dear All,
>  I have some questions about poppassd to ask you. Why the user(not the root
> user) cannot change passwd by them self, but the root user can do?

Because you need root privs to change a password, and in most cases to
read the password (shadow passwords, etc).

> I showed the content that I did on below.
> Error: 500 Username and old password don't match.

Probably can't read the shadow password file, so it can't compare them.

> If you have idea, please let's me know.

It should run as root.  There does not appear to be a problem.  It should
be run as a daemon running as root.

--
Eric Rostetter
eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu

Hey Rocky!  Watch me pull a rabbit from my hat!