[imp] CVS

Tue, 21 May 2002 19:14:56 -0500

Quoting Joakim Ryden <jo@our-own.net>:

> Hey guys -
>
> I realize that this is "The Wrong Thing To Do - Stupid - etc", but I'd still
> like to ask; how many of you are running a CVS version or other of horde/imp
> on your production systems?

When I started (IMP 2.2) we only ran released versions.  Never CVS.  Wasn't
brave.

Then when 3.0 came out, we liked it.  We ran it.  Pretty soon though, a lot
of great features were in CVS but not in 3.0.  We really wanted the new
features. We felt brave. So we started running the releng_3 branch from CVS.

When I want to update my site, I download the newest releng_3 to a test area,
and we test it for a week or two (with 3 users).  If the test seems good, then
we make that the new production version.  We've had no real problems with this,
and in fact only one issue at all over the course of a dozen or so updates.

Now we're way too brave... I've got a head branch CVS checkout up as a test
version.  If it ever passes the test requirements (runs stable with no problems
found for more than a month of testing) then we will implement it.  So far it
hasn't passed that test, but it is getting real close.  I wouldn't recommend
this though.  Stay with the releng_3 branch, not the head branch, unless you
have a really good reason, or a boss who just doesn't understand.

> I've been tracking CVS for some time and although there is occasionally a
> weird thing or two popping up things seem pretty stable to me, fixes are
> fast and rollbacks of the checkouts are fairly easy...

I can say we've not had any real issues with the releng_3 branch.  The
head branch however is quite a different story.