[imp] Attachments are saved as view.*, bug?

Henry Blackman h.blackman@chester.ac.uk
Mon, 27 May 2002 14:27:42 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ahmed" <ashihab@alcahest.com>
To: <imp@lists.horde.org>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: [imp] Attachments are saved as view.*, bug?

> Quoting Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:
>
> > > I've been noticing that any attachments, when downloaded or viewed the
> >
> > There are a lot of problems with several IE versions, some are quirky
some
> > are not.
> >
> > Try commenting out line 125 (break_disposition_header) in
lib/Browser.php
> > and see if it helps.
> >
> that did not help with IE 5.5
>
> Anyway I've corrected the problem with opera, it was set to report itself
as MSIE, which it shouldn't.

> I've found another problem, MIME parts with filenames containing spaces do
not get saved as the complete filename, rather the filename stops at the
first space character and the browser will then report it as "unknown type"
since it does not have an extension.

> I've crudely corrected this problem by adding quotes to the file name (see
patch below):

We've been having terrible trouble at my institution with filesnames because
we use lots of different versions of IE.  I actually read the RFC and found
that using quotes was in fact breaking the rules, but what is interesting is
how Hotmail does it.  Hotmail actually removes spaces in the filename (which
is another way of solving the problem), but it also puts quotes around the
filename.  Some of the headers are sent in a different order too which
confuses matters, but heck, it seems to work with IE.

Another point of interest is that IE 6 on Windows XP works differently to IE
6 on all other platforms with it's handling of files.  As a rule, until a
certain patch was released (I'm not sure which one there are so many) IE 6
randomly crashes on XP with "attachments".  Fortunately whatever patch we
are on now has actually solved that problem.

Henry