[imp] IMP server configs

Harry Hoffman hhoffman@ip-solutions.net
Tue, 28 May 2002 18:11:39 -0400

Hi Jan,
   My regular email is back so I can post to the list. Anyway here are my
thoughts. In servers.php one has various options that are directly related to
the IMAP/POP server to be used. It would seem that since things like the
"INBOX", "sent-mail", "drafts", "Quota info", etc. are all related to the
specific IMAP/POP server that they should be allowed to be defaults in
servers.php and perhaps overriden in prefs.php.
   This would allow for "x" number of backend servers to be configured without
writing specific code to deal with them individually. And since they would be
defaults to that IMAP/POP server it wouldn't matter if the user chose the
Exchange server as opposed to the Cyrus server. The sent mail folder would
automatically become "Sent Items" as opposed to the default "sent-mail". If
the user than decided to use an IMAP client such as Outlook things would
appear the same in both IMP and Outlook as opposed to trying to explain that
they should set their prefs for each server (IMAP/POP) that they may connect
to.
  Then IMP could select based off of info provided as default in server.php
and leave the user out of configuration unless they chose to do so themselves.
  I would love to be able to submit a patch but I just don't know php that
well. But I do think that if there is one IMP installation serving many
backend IMAP/POP servers that this would make a lot of sense.
  I know that here in the Univ. world it's common to use one IMP server to
serve many different backends. I just don't know if it's common for the rest
of the people using IMP.
  What do you think?
Thanks,
Harry