[imp] is smtp really smtp?

Joost De Cock Joost.DeCock@astrid.be
Fri, 31 May 2002 19:19:14 +0200

On Friday 31 May 2002 07:44 pm, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Zitat von Joost De Cock <Joost.DeCock@astrid.be>:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I've (tried to) set up IMP 3.0 on a redhat 7.1 box with apache 1.3 end
> > php
> > 4.something, but don't aorry 'cause I upgraded the pear. And I use
> > PostrgeSQL.
> >
> > I connect to an exchange (I work in a Micro$oft believers environment)
> > server.
> > It took me a while (and a ot of reading on this list) but now I can
> > successfully log on (and thus authenticate) I can read mail, edit my
> > settings (that pgsql stuff is working) and so.
> > Only problem is, I can't sent email. I set up imp to go for smtp and not
> > sendmail, but if I try to send a message it doesn't get sent.
> > I don't receive an error, but afterwards I find a mail in my root mailbox
> > saying that the user is unknown.
> > No wonder since sendmail isn't configured at all.
> > I was under the impression that is I choose smtp, it wouldn't need
> > sendmail,
> > so I could use it even if sendmail wasn't running (or wasn't on the
> > machine)
> >
> > Could you please confirm?
> >
> > If I really have to configure sendmail I'll try, but since I have never
> > done
> > that, I'm not really looking forward to it.
> >
> > If I can use pure smtp, then why doesn't it do so when I set it up to do
> > so?
>
> SMTP definitely works, so I guess that's some sort of configuration error.
> Do you use server lists? The please post you configuration from
> imp/config/servers.php. If not, you have to set the mail provider in
> horde/config/horde.php.
>
> Jan.

WOW, that has to be the fastest reply I got from a mailing list ever! :)

This is my servers.php:

$servers['imap'] = array(
    'name' => 'IMAP Server',
    'server' => '10.100.1.101',
    'protocol' => 'imap',
    'port' => 143,
    'folders' => 'mail/',
    'namespace' => '',
    'maildomain' => 'astrid.be',
    'smtphost' => '10.100.1.101',
    'realm' => 'astrid.be',
    'preferred' => ''
);

As you can see, I'm testdriving this on the internal network (hence the
private IP address)

And this is horde.php (the mail part):

/**
 ** Mailer
 **/

/* What method should we use for sending mail? Valid options are
 * currently 'sendmail' and 'smtp'.
 */
$conf['mailer']['type'] = 'smtp';

/* An array holding any parameters that the Mail object will need to
 * function correctly. For sendmail, this is mainly the sendmail_path
 * option; SMTP requires at least a server and a port (if nonstandard).
 */
$conf['mailer']['params'] = array();
// $conf['mailer']['params'] = array('sendmail_path' => '/usr/lib/sendmail');
$conf['mailer']['params'] = array('server' => '10.100.1.101');

I think it is correct (both IMAP and SMTP are the same server)

Joost

The information in this mail is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee(s).
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not
an intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the
information contained in the email.