[imp] Quotas on UW-Imap -- updating quota

Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:59:09 -0500

Quoting Arie Kraak <maillists@obdnwh.nl>:

> There's nothing rong. the only thing to do is making a cron like
>
> */5 * * * * /sbin/quotacheck -a

This won't work with the new (V3) quota packages.  It will work with the old
(V2) quota packages.  I would not run it every 5 minutes unless your disks are
very small, as it can take a while to complete.  Doing this on the new quota
system would require you to disable quotas, rebuild the quotas, and then
enable quotas.  This is only practical if your disks are idle.  I doubt
your disks are idle every 5 minutes ;)

I did indeed run such a command when I used the old quota package on an
NFS server, but only once a day.  This is because for some reason the quotas
did tend to get off a bit over time.  I do not run this at all with the new
quota packages (although it would be reasonable to run these commands at
boot time).  The new quota routines are much more robust than the old.

> This will update the quota data every 5 minutes. Realtime quota is as far as
> I now not possible?

It is very much possible.  Most likely you just haven't activated it with
the "quotaon" command, and/or haven't rebooted since you created the
quotas in the first place.  They only work if you run quotaon, which of
course should be in the system startup scripts so it starts at boot.

This all assume RedHat Linux, but it should be about the same for any
linux distribution since it is basically dependent only on the kernel
and the quota package.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage