[imp] Login Failed

Joost De Cock Joost.DeCock@astrid.be
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:45:32 +0200

So you are saying that both your mailserver and your webserver (that runs
the horde code) are on the same machine?

Than offcourse you can't sniff the wire since there is nothing happening on
the wire.

You should try to get an idea of the traffic between your webserver and the
mailserver, the client is not important (only http)

So on th same machine.... hmm

I'm not sure is you can see loopback traffic with a sniffer...

Here's what you do, find the logs of your mail server (what are you
running?) it should list the successfull attempt (from the telnet) and the
unsuccessfull(from imp)
Comparing the 2 entries should give you an idea of what goes wrong.
You can also check the horde log (I think it's in /tmp)
A good place to start looking for your mail log file is /var/log/

Good luck :)

-----Original Message-----
From: antonio d'acierno [mailto:dacierno.a@isa.av.cnr.it]
Sent: vrijdag 7 juni 2002 11:28
To: Joost De Cock
Cc: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: RE: [imp] Login Failed

Hi Joost
I'm sorry to bother you again but I'm a new user of Linux, so a I have a
lot of problems
and a lot of questions.

I tested POP3 on the server
On the server  I "telnet localhost POP3" and then user and password.
I was successful in login.
If this is the right procedure the server should be OK.
My server is not on a separate lan.

Now I have to check other things.
When You say "sniff the wire" do you mean sniff the connection between my
remote client
and the server or do you mean sniff the connection on the server between
the web server
and the pop server. If the latter, how this can be done?

Last, how can test if there is a firewall between the webserver and the
mailserver(both servers are on
the same PC running REDHAT 7.3)?

I really thank You!