[imp] realms broken, or did I miss something? :)

Jeremy Gault jeremy@pointlessmedia.org
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:12:22 -0400

Hi,

	Well, I've been using IMP for quite some time.  Used it back in
the 2.x days, and I like the 3.x releases even better. :)  Well enough
in fact that I'm wanting to use it for all of my webmail needs.

	I've ran into a slight problem though.  I'm running qmail,
vpopmail, and courier-imap.  I had IMP configured with a drop-down list
of servers for users to choose from (some were mine, and a few offsite
ones also.)  The virtual domains I had worked fine, since I was doing
IP-based mail hosting at that time.  Well, I've changed providers and
now am very limited in IP space, so I'm having to do it off of one IP.

	I have vpopmail and courier working, with either POP3 or IMAP
you can configure your client to login as username@domain.net and it
will work correctly for the domains.  So, I wanted to make IMP do the
same for some of the servers.  (i.e. any of my virtual domains, IMP
would send Courier a username@domain.net type of address in the LOGIN
command.)  From reading through documentation, it appears that the realm
attribute for each server is the way to do this.

	So I setup a server entry, which looks like this:

$servers['carc'] = array(
    'name' => 'carc.cc',
    'server' => 'localhost',
    'protocol' => 'imap',
    'port' => 143,
    'folders' => '',
    'namespace' => 'INBOX.',
    'maildomain' => 'carc.cc',
    'smtphost' => 'localhost',
    'realm' => 'carc.cc',
    'preferred' => 'webmail.carc.cc'
);

	When I select this one from the list, and attempt to login to a
mailbox there, it doesn't work.  (It doesn't authenticate.)  I switched
off the server list (so that it just picked off the 'preferred' setting)
and still no luck.  I even upgraded my entire Horde+IMP installation to
the latest version, and no luck there either.

	Looking through the code, it seems I am doing everything right,
but it doesn't seem to work.  When I did some tracing with IMAP, it
seems that IMP is sending "username" and not "username@carc.cc" (or any
other domain.)  That's fine if users are checking pointlessmedia.org
mail, since it doesn't host through vpopmail...  but any other domain
will need @whateverdomain.com appended...  Hence, I was thinking I
needed to add the realms for the ones that need them, and leave alone
the ones that don't.

	Any ideas?  Surely I have to be missing something...  did some
searching around for the past hour or so and haven't had much luck.  I'm
figuring someone has run into this (or at least knows what's up) and
will be able help.  ::is about to pull his hair out:: :)  Thanks..

		Jeremy :)

- --
Jeremy Gault            <jeremy@pointlessmedia.org>
Operations Manager, Pointless Media Group
 Eighth Law of Computer Programming - Undetectable errors are infinite
 in variety, in contrast to detectable errors, which by definition are
 limited.