[imp] Login Fails when password contains backslash

Pape, Michael J. papem@union.edu
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:26:12 -0400

Thanks of the reply,

I tried this (using UW imap-2001a), with some interesting results. When
using a password without the "\" both the quoted and un-quoted passwords
worked fine. However when I tried to login directly to imapd using a
password with a backslash, it fails in both instances. What does work is
to dereference the backslash with an additional backslash and quote it.
i.e., for a user named "test" and a password of "test\", I get:
.
.
.
a1 login test test\
a1 BAD Missing or invalid argument to LOGIN
a1 login test "test\"
a1 BAD Missing or invalid argument to LOGIN
a1 login test test\\
a1 BAD Missing or invalid argument to LOGIN
a1 login test "test\\"
a1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS SCAN SORT
THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User test
authenticated
a2 logout
* BYE idol.union.edu IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
a2 OK LOGOUT completed
.
.
.

I guess the question now is -- What is IMP delivering to imapd...

Mike