[imp] Maybe an addition to the FAQ?

Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:21:06 -0500

Quoting Lars Nummedal <lars@nummedal.net>:

> Hi,
>
> I had some problems with respect to attachment size with IMP 3.1. I had to
> change some parameters in /etc/php.ini to get attachments of a certain
> size to work.

These parameters are on my todo list for the FAQ, but I've had no time to
update it lately... :(

> I couldn't find the "key parameter" memory_limit in the IMP
> FAQ, and thought my experiences might be interesting - or maybe it's
> already common knowledge. I have the following settings in my /etc/php.ini
> (PHP 4.2.1 on RedHat 7.2) for this test:
>
> post_max_size           =       16M
> file_uploads    	= 	On
> max_execution_time	=	600
> memory_limit 		= 	90M
> upload_tmp_dir  	= 	/tmp
> upload_max_filesize     = 	16M

That list of parameters matches mine.

> For some reason, I had to go all the way to 90M for the memory_limit
> before I was able to send an email with an attachment of exactly 8MB.

While you need to have memory_limit and post_max_size greater than
upload_max_filesize, it shouldn't have to be that much larger!  I think
you might have a problem somewhere, or a *very* large install of php.
That would worry me some...

> I also tested what memory_limit had to be when sending a 1MB attachment.
> In that case, I had to set the memory_limit to 16M to get it to work.

Ditto.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage