Compose screen changes (was Re: [imp] Attachment interface confusing to users)

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:28:16 +0200

Zitat von Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu>:

> 2. If a user wishes to expand aliases prior to sending the message, they
> hit the "address book" command (however it is implemented) which loads
> the address book popup (or an intermediate address book page if the user
> doesn't want popups) and simultaneously attempts to expand all aliases
> (if there are any).  The advantage of this is that if the alias is bad

That would be quite cool, the only problem is, that the addressbook is
currently only working as a popup and must be redesigned to also work as a
link to the same window.

I'm also experimenting with a dhtml bases auto expand feature. This would
only work with recent browsers so it won't be an alternative just a little
nice to have. Addresses would be expanded if the text field loses the focus
with the help of a hidden iframe. But I have to find out if scripting one
form element will interrupt entering text into another.

> message body or maybe down with the send/save/cancel buttons?  That
> leaves only "special characters", which isn't really an "option" IMHO,
> and I would guess that anyone who needs special characters probably
> knows how to enter them from the operating system level because they'll
> likely use them regularly in other applications as well.  (I could be
> entirely wrong on this last assumption, as I don't use any special
> characters, so keep that in mind... ;) )

There are some special characters in this window that aren't accessible by
the keyboard if you don't have the correct keyboard layout. E.g. I'm not
able to insert a 'æ' if I'm working with a German keyboard.

Jan.