Compose screen changes (was Re: [imp] Attachment interface confusing to users)

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:58:55 -0500

> Quoting Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu>:
>
> > leaves only "special characters", which isn't really an "option" IMHO,
> > and I would guess that anyone who needs special characters probably
> > knows how to enter them from the operating system level because they'll
> > likely use them regularly in other applications as well.  (I could be
> > entirely wrong on this last assumption, as I don't use any special
> > characters, so keep that in mind... ;) )
>
> You're wrong. I've completely forgotten how to enter them from the OS, even
> on a Mac where I used to know, and that popup is there mostly because I
> wanted a cheat sheet. =)
>
> -chuck

It is most useful here in the university environment.  We have secretaries
and the like who know nothing about special characters.  But, they need
to email to students all over the world.  They do not know, and do not
want to know, the language or how to type in that language.  But they do
need to be able to type their names correctly, talk in their currency,
etc.  They use the special characters box all the time just for this.

In my world, this feature is indespensible!  (since otherwise they would
be calling *me* to find out how to type them in)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage