[imp] Re: [dev] Delete & Purge

Federico Giannici giannici@neomedia.it
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:16:32 +0000

Tero Matinlassi wrote:

> Lainaus Federico Giannici <giannici@neomedia.it>:
>
> > So I propose to always add the command "Delete & Purge" next to the
> > "Delete" command in the Mailbox and Message pages.
> >
> > Than we could add a new Preferences option, something as "Simplify
> > deletion of messages" or "Immediately Purge deleted messages", or
> > something else...
>
> I really don't see a need for this. If you want to accomplish something
> like this, enable the option for moving messages to trash when
> deleting. If you enable that, the hide and purge deleted commands won't
> be shown anymore (and there's a new button called empty trash at the
> menu). At the maintenance options you can define how often the trash
> folder will be emptied and/or how old messages are removed.

I already thought at that solution, but discarded it for the following
reasons:

1) It still requires two actions to really delete the messages ("Delete"
and then "Empty Trashcan").

2) It consumes more resorces: CPU, time and (depending on server
implementation) disk space.

3) I think that in some IMAP servers that use Filesystem Quotas, there
could be situations where it is impossible to copy a message into
another folder because for a moment two copies of the message should be
on disk, and they don't fit in the quota. In this situations, some
messages couldn't be deleted!

4) It can even increase users problems: novice users could think that
having deleted a message they have freed the disk space, while it is
still occupated (in another folder).

Bye,
    __
   |-                      giannici@neomedia.it