[imp] idea for IMP signature diming on digests

Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:07:21 -0500

I've just had this idea, and haven't tried to confirm anything yet.
I want to toss it at the list to see if anyone has any problems with the
concept before I look at coding it or suggesting it.

The problem is that when you get mailing list digests, everything in the
digest after the first signature is dimmed if you have signature dimming
on.

My half-baked concept is that signature dimming starts as normal at
the "^--\n" match. But then we check what follows, and if we see a
"^From: " (or maybe this should be "^Message: \d+" or something -- is
that more-or-less standard in a digest) we turn it back off.

Now I realize that "^From: " may not be the first header in a message in
a digest -- I often see the Date: field before the From: field for example.
So keying off a single field would not be perfect, but pretty decent.  If
digests tend to use a standard seperator (like the ^Message: " line or
something) that would be better, but somehow I doubt there is any
prevalent standard to that.

Well, that's my idea.  Any comments?  (I'm just tired of reading my
digests dimmed)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage