[imp]Multiple IMP installations

Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:29:58 -0500

Quoting Brian Keifer <lists@valinor.net>:

> Hello,
>
> We're in the process of upgrading to version 3.1 from version 3.0.  Is
> there any way to register two copies of IMP with Horde and have them run
> happily side-by-side?

I really don't know.  What I do is slightly different.

1) I download a new Horde and IMP (and Turba, etc) into a new directory area
2) Get them working, side-by-side with the old ones, until I know all is good
3) Switch the webserver config from the old one to the new one for production

So instead of

/horde/
       imp3.0
       imp3.1

as you propose, I use

/horde2.0/imp3.0
/horde2.1/imp3.1

(or whatever versions).  This allows me to switch by simply changing my
apache config file and sending apache a "graceful" restart -- no downtime.
And should you need to switch back (I never had yet) the old version is
still there intact and you can easily switch back...  (Same for comparing
old to new, etc).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage