[imp] first install

Joost De Cock joost.decock@astrid.be
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:00:54 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Chandler, Jacob R [mailto:UCS_JRC@exchange.shsu.edu]
Sent: donderdag 11 juli 2002 21:32
To: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: [imp] first install

>Just installed IMP/Horde on RedHat Linux.

congratulations :)

>I am able to access our IMAP and Exchange servers using IMP.

Do you mean that you are able to access your exchange server that acts as an
IMAP server? Or are they different servers?

>However, other people in our organization are not. When they enter their
username, password, server, etc, the IMP index.php appears again. I'm
assuming that this means there is an error, but we are not receiving an
error message. Can anyone give some ideas as to why it might work from one
computer yet not another when both are connecting to the same web server
which then connects to the same imap server?

First of all, the problem most likely is not that they use another computer,
but the fact that they use another user account.
What most likely happens is that for some reason, you can't authenticate
yourself on the IMAP server. To make sure, you should install a sniffer on
either the webserver, mailserver or a host between them, and see what
happens.
I had a similar problem once, when sniffing the connection, I could see the
error message, and it read 'no such mailbox on this system'
The proble was (and this may be true for you to): when connecting to an
exchange IMAP, you should user as a login:
NTdomain/NTuser/mailalias
together with your pasword.
If and only if your mailalias is the same as your NTusername (eg they're
both ChandJ) you can log on as
NTuser
with your password.

If you are loggin on like this, and others can not, check the mailalias of
those other users, and either change it to their username, or get them to
log on using the domain/user/alias syntax.

Joost De Cock

PS: On exchange, this is also the way to connect to another mailbox then
your own, eg
domain/user/webmaster
given that you have the needed rights offcourse!

>Jacob Chandler

The information in this mail is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee(s).
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not
an intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the
information contained in the email.