[imp] Windows XP caches login credentials.

Joe Kellner jdk@the-grudge.myip.org
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:46:05 -0400

>From the apache docs:

How do I log out?
Since browsers first started implementing basic authentication, website
administrators have wanted to know how to let the user log out. Since the
browser caches the username and password with the authentication realm, as
described earlier in this tutorial, this is not a function of the server
configuration, but is a question of getting the browser to forget the
credential information, so that the next time the resource is requested, the
username and password must be supplied again. There are numerous situations
in which this is desirable, such as when using a browser in a public
location, and not wishing to leave the browser logged in, so that the next
person can get into your bank account.

However, although this is perhaps the most frequently asked question about
basic authentication, thus far none of the major browser manufacturers have
seen this as being a desirable feature to put into their products.

Consequently, the answer to this question is, you can't. Sorry.

-Joe