[imp] Permformance issue

Andrew Morgan morgan@orst.edu
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:28:24 -0700 (PDT)

My personal opinion is that you are better off installing IMP on a
separate machine.  No matter where you install IMP, it will make an IMAP
or POP connection to your mail server.  In one case this happens locally
by connecting to localhost and in the other case it happens across the
network.

If for some reason you have a really slow network between the two
machines, then running it locally would make sense.  Otherwise, I'd rather
have the extra horsepower of a second machine.  IMP, especially using SSL
connections, does take some horsepower to run, so why not take that load
off of your mail server.  Let your mail server just handle IMAP/POP
connections.

Where possible, I prefer to dedicate servers to separate services rather
than running it all on one big machine.

Hope this helps,
	Andy