[imp] Permformance issue

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:58:40 -0500

Quoting Terry Poperszky <Terry.Poperszky@SosStaffing.com>:

> Particularly unhelpful response, purposely obtuse.

And this answer won't be any better...

> All things being equal and assuming that you do not purposely degrade the
> performance of one installation of over another is there a reason (i.e.
> performance) to install horde/imp on the mail server rather than a remote
> machine in the same facility.

Maybe.

Okay, so you're mad.  Not a valid answer?  Well, not a valid question either.

Splitting the machines might add network latency.  So it might be slower
than a single machine...  But maybe the first machine has really slow cpu
speed, and that slowness is slower than the network latency?  Then splitting
them might be faster.  Unless the second one mounted the disks over NFS,
and the first was from a nice fast local raid controller.  Now the NFS latency
might outweight the slow cpu but fast disk machine.  Unless of course the
first one was really short on memory, in which case splitting it might avoid
thrashing and make it faster.  Unless of course...  Well, you get the idea.

In other words, I stand by my first answer.

If you care to provide more details, we might be able to offer some limited
advice.  But without knowledge of the setup, there is no way say which setup
would be faster (or slower).

There are good reasons for splitting the load between machines.  But how
would you do that? Mail on one and web on the other?  Web and mail on one
but database on another?  Mail and web on one, but ldap server on another?
What is your expected load?  Hundreds of users? (Then you probably don't
need to split)  Thousands of users? (Then maybe you should split)  What
is acceptible response time?  Do you have sufficient memory/cpu/disk/etc
in the machine to run all the needed software?

Without specific info, there is no way to give a legit answer to your
question.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage