[imp] Permformance issue

jlewis@lewis.org jlewis@lewis.org
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:44:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Quoting jlewis@lewis.org:
>
> > I'll take a stab at this.  Since IMP will use IMAP rather than direct
> > access to mail via the filesystem, putting IMP on the same system as the
> > IMAP server is likely of no benefit, and will only slow things down since
> > it's only going to take away CPU time and i/o from the IMAP server.  I've
> > always put IMP on its own box.
>
> In some cases your loopback interface will have much greater bandwidth
> than your ethernet or whatever network, and hence it might be much
> faster on one machine than on two...

I thought about saying that, and someone else already had.  Obviously, if
your IMAP server has sufficient spare CPU time and your LAN (the original
question specified servers in the same facility) is unusually slow or
overloaded, keeping it on one box may be beneficial.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |