[imp] How to configure apache and horde...

Parag Godkar paragg@konark.ncst.ernet.in
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:49:02 +0530

Ok Nigel, you have a bit difficult problem.
Instead of going for http://linux as pointing
to IMP, you should have gone for http://linux/webmail
as pointing to IMP. Then the problem of  accessing
turba does not arise.
The former option forces you to change your
DocumentRoot while in the later option you
just need to add an Alias.
I will try to explain it to you
in a moment.

But since you want http://linux as the root, here
is the solution -

1.) Open /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and make
      the following changes -

   1.  DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/horde/imp"

   2. #
       # This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
       #
       <Directory "/var/www/html/horde/imp">

   3. Alias /horde "/var/www/html/horde"
       Alias /imp "/var/www/html/horde/imp"
       Alias /horde/ "/var/www/html/horde/"
       Alias /imp/ "/var/www/html/horde/imp/"

   4.  ServerName   linux.ncst.ernet.in
       ( where linux is the name of my server
          where IMP is running )

 Now, RESTART httpd. DON'T FORGET THIS.

 Now open your webbrowser and check
 http://linux . You should get the IMP login
 page. Login to IMP and try to access the address
 book.
 You won't be able to because the directory
 "turba" lies below the webroot in the directory
 structure. Hope you get this point. This problem
 wouldn't have arisen if you had chosen http://linux/webmail
 to point to /var/www/html/horde/imp leaving the
 Document Root as it is as pointed out earlier and as
 suggested in my earlier mail.

2) So now let us fool the system. Telnet your server where
     IMP is installed and change to the directory "imp"
    ie:  /var/www/html/horde/imp
    and issue the command

    ln -s   /var/www/html/horde/turba/    turba

    Using this command we have created a soft link
    to the turba directory in imp directory.

Now, logout of IMP, refresh your webpage, login
again and try to access your address book.

You will be able to access it.

Regards,
Parag Godkar.