[imp] Re: question about data migration

Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:15:51 -0500

Quoting East County Internet Services - Root <root@ecis.ecis.com>:

> We are running IMP 2.2 on a Linux platform and will be upgrading when
> possible.  Until that time, we have run into a situation where we need to
> migrate customers to different machines, as well as migrate them to
> different logon names on the same machine.
>
> How can we do this, and keep their saved information (address book,
> emails, etc..) intact?

You don't say what backend you are using.  I'll presume it is either mysql
or postgresql???

For people staying on the same machine, but changing the username, simply
edit the database entries for that person to change the username to their
new name.  If you use a mailer that stores mail in the a file named after
the username, you'll also have to rename that at the same time as you
rename the account...  I'll assume the username change will keep the same
uid values -- if not, then things could be more difficult.

For those moving to a new machine, but with the same username, you could
simply setup the new machine to query the old machine remotely (over the
network) for the database stored info (address book, preferences, etc),
thus keeping everything intact.  That assumes you can leave the database
on the old machine, and use that for everyone???  But you didn't give enough
details to say.  For their email, I assume you would not want to keep
it on the old server and query remotely (or what would be the point of the
move?) so you would need to move their mail files and what not to the new
machine...

> Thank you for your time.  We did try to find the info on the net but
> failed..

Well, you really didn't give enough info to help much.  Maybe a follow
up message to the IMP mailing list with more info would help...

I'm betting there is more you want to know than that answer... If so,
I'd suggest more explicit questions with more details...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage