[imp] What is JAWmail? How ot related to IMP?

Rudi Benkovič rudib@email.si
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:07:19 +0200

[I wrote JAWmail]

On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, 1:14:08 AM, Mike Cochrane wrote:

> Quoting Georgy Goshin <gosha@inbox.ee>:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw some product, called JAWMail, it looks like the IMP but works with
>> UTF-8
>> that makes it very interesting, but IMP is much more stable.
>>
>> JAWmail looks like the IMP, do they use IMP code or just IMP design?

> Just IMP design... source code is total different from the bits i
> took a look at.. they may have borrowed some templates from IMP
> though, just from looking at it.

Yes, it looks like IMP&Horde and some code (particulary MIME) is
borrowed, tweaked (MIME for UTF-8) and some other things are
completely different (like the ACL system, themes) and some things are
unique (plugins). It's under GPL, don't go nuts :)

It is primarily being written for fun, for some little non-commercial
projects and to learn about PHP and Web development.

Some guys might say why don't I instead patch Horde and IMP to do some
things the way I want it to? Well, I already hacked a lot of IMP 2.2
and I didn't like that - I wanted plugins for custom things back then
in ... '98, I think (like user registration, showing mail quota, FAQs,
banners,...) and I had to port our hacks from IMP 2.2.something to
2.2.something+more ... Really didn't like the process.

So, I wanted something "new", done by myself, started having some
fun... Here it is now, public, GPLed. Just Another Web mail. There's
too much already. :)

Hint, hint: Just as I borrowed MIME and Registry ideas, you guys
should borrow plugin ideas ... ;) Code's there, quite OO ...

--

Rudi