[imp] What is JAWmail? How ot related to IMP?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:05:18 -0400

Quoting Rudi Benkovič <rudib@email.si>:

> Some guys might say why don't I instead patch Horde and IMP to do some
> things the way I want it to? Well, I already hacked a lot of IMP 2.2
> and I didn't like that - I wanted plugins for custom things back then
> in ... '98, I think (like user registration, showing mail quota, FAQs,
> banners,...) and I had to port our hacks from IMP 2.2.something to
> 2.2.something+more ... Really didn't like the process.

I have nothing against you working from our codebase, but I'm sad you
didn't feel like contributing more to the community; I think you'll find
that a lot of the people who make their patches - "hacks" - for IMP public
find acceptance for them and get them mainlined, thus eliminating the whole
porting thing...

> Hint, hint: Just as I borrowed MIME and Registry ideas, you guys
> should borrow plugin ideas ... ;) Code's there, quite OO ...

While people are picking nits, the MIME code and the Registry are all under
the LGPL, not the GPL. So if you are distributing derived work under the
GPL, you're technically removing rights that people should have to that
code and violating the license.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>