[imp] What is JAWmail? How ot related to IMP?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 00:31:59 -0600

Quoting "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk@queernet.org>:

| UI design is a technical skill and an intellectual invention, just as
| much as coding; if you make your product look like someone else's, even
| if you don't use a line of their code, you're exploiting their work --
| after all, you didn't have to make those decisions from scratch -- and
| you should credit them for it.   Is it really that hard to understamnd?

Not necessarily, at least under U.S. law.  A case in the 80's (I believe
Lotus and Borland were the parties) stated that UI's are not per se
copyrightbale/protectable - in that case, either Borland or Lotus directly
copied the menubar layout from the other program in order to make a users
switch from one program to another less painful.  Even though the menubars
were _exactly_ similar, and the company admitted directly copying its
competitor, there was no copyright violation.  The basic reasoning is that
there are only so many ways to code a UI, and a company/programmer should
not have the right to "monopolize" all possible displays just because they
were the first.

Unless there is something completly earthshattering about the design, or
the UI _is_ essentially the program, copying UI elements alone is not
enough.  It is the direct copying of code that must be analyzed, not
the "look" or "feel" of a program.

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder