[imp] compile PHP --with-imap, on OS X: progress, but...

Michael Geary listmail@gearyweb.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:02:31 -0600

Hi folks,

I am desperately trying to get PHP (4.2.2) --with-imap running on OS X,
so I can run the IMP web-mail client. I already have IMAP installed, and
have downloaded and compiled the U-W c-client. I have also followed the
directions on the PHP.NET website under IMAP.

Here is my PHP configure line:

./configure --prefix=/mg --with-apxs=/mg/sbin/apxs \
--with-config-file-path=/mg/etc --with-gettext=/sw \
--with-xml --enable-ftp --with-imap=/usr/local/src/imap-2002.RC2 \
--with-imap-ssl

I can configure PHP just fine, that is, I don't get any errors. However,
when I run "make", I get a message:

*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by
-lc-client.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

I do still get a libphp4.dylib file, but when I rename this to
libphp4.so and place it in the appropriate apache directory, i get the
following error from apache:

Syntax error on line 239 of /mg/etc/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /mg/libexec/httpd/libphp4.so into server: (reason unknown)

on line 239 of httpd.conf I have:

LoadModule php4_module          libexec/httpd/libphp4.so

Can anyone make any sense of this? I would really appreciate some help.

regards,

michael geary