[imp] Swap & Large Attachments

Joakim Ryden jo@our-own.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:35:49 -0700

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that emailing a 100MB file
is relatively close to madness. :)

all the mailservers i administer are cap'ed at accepting mail 10MB large
and i consider that pretty generous...

--Jo

Quoting Vern-N <vern@cs.unt.edu>:

=> IMP 3.1, Horde 2.1, UW IMAP 2002.RC3
=>
=> So you attach a large file, then you wait.... then you send and it
=> dissapears, and your attachment doesn't go through...
=>
=> So I was watching memory use in top while troubleshooting
=> attachments.
=>
=> Sending a 100MB file, I watched apache-ssl use up nearly 400MB
=> peak...
=> Then much to my surprise, I watched imapd use up 265MB peak...
=> (after
=> sending)
=>
=> The attachments were dying due to lack of swapspace, however the
=> whole
=> process of waiting it out was excruciating over 10Mb/s LAN.
=>
=> Perhaps there is some way to alter the system so that it can stream
=> attachments to files on disk rather than page them out into system
=> memory....  It seems like it would save a few blowouts...
=>
=> After I watched top report that it had executed my webserver for
=> exhausting memory, I learned about swapfiles...
=>
=> dd if=/dev/zer0 of=/swapfile block=1024 count=1048576
=> mkswap /swapfile 1048576
=> swapon /swapfile
=>
=> Should get ya a 1Gb swapfile going....
=>
=> -Cheers,
=> -Vern
=>
=> PS- PII 300Mhz, 256Mb ram, 1 transfer kicked load average up to 1.7
=> from
=> 0.02, debian
=>
=>